In mid-14th century (1371) the Bishops of Brixen gave up direct administration of their estate. They leased it, as a collateral for a loan, to Konrad von Kreigh, the chief administrator at the time. The Kreigh family ruled Bled for almost 200 years (1371–1558).
The Kreighs and their successors, the Turns – under whose rule the peasants, revolted by the Turns’ ruthless behaviour and violation of peasant rights, decided to join the Slovene Peasant Revolt in 1515 – were succeeded as castle owners by Herbard von Auersperg, who had made a name for himself through his heroism fighting the Turks.
Under Auersperg, the castle became a stronghold of Protestantism and, in 1561, it was visited by the leader of the Slovenian Protestant movement, Primož Trubar, the author of the first two books written in Slovene, Katekizem, or Catechismus, and Abecedarij, Abecedary. Because of his Protestant beliefs, Herbard von Auersperg had to leave the castle in 1574.